Immigration from Hong Kong to the UK: renting your property

As the UK Government prepares to open the Hong Kong British National (Overseas) Visa for applications from January 2021, many people in Hong Kong may be planning to buy and rent out UK property, before moving into this property while keeping and renting out their Hong Kong property.

To help them understand the tax implications of this arrangement, BKL private client tax specialist Geraint Jones was interviewed for Hong Kong’s Next Magazine.

Topics discussed by Geraint include capital gains tax, Principal Private Residence relief (also known as main residence relief) and Annual Tax on Enveloped Dwellings (ATED).

(As of June 2021, Next magazine’s webpages and videos are unavailable. For reference: the article and video were available to Next Magazine subscribers here; a translation into English was available here.)

The video is also available on YouTube:

Other articles in this series:

To find out more about how Geraint and our other tax specialists can help people who are looking to invest in UK property or relocate to the UK, please get in touch using our enquiry form.



Sam Inkersole

In 2022, Sam won the Taxation’s Rising Star award at the Taxation Awards in and was named in the Accountancy Age 35 Under 35.

Jon Wedge

While Jon’s client work focuses on the financial services sector, he also oversees the firm’s assurance service, as well as supporting the trainees following in his footsteps.


Elana joined us in 2017 as an ACA trainee, after graduating from Durham University where she had studied languages. She is now a manager in our assurance team.


By submitting this form, the data provided will be used to perform your request according to our privacy policy.